There’s no doubt about it: Long Island Aquarium is a unique place to work. Here is a list of current job opportunities:
Position Title: Bird and Reptile Keeper
Under the direction of our Curator and Primary Aviculturist (Senior Aviculturist) the Bird and Reptile keeper is responsible for providing daily husbandry to our collection of birds and reptiles. This includes but is not limited to daily observations, preparing and feeding appropriate diets, ensuring animals health, cleaning, and maintaining both exhibit and behind the scenes areas of this collection. This keeper will also play a lead role in hosting our popular Penguin Encounter program.
Major Job responsibilities include:
- Daily care to our collection of birds and reptiles. This may include cleaning both on and off exhibit areas, preparing and feeding out an appropriate diet, and behavior observations.
- Host Penguin Encounter programs and other penguin interactions.
- Provide enrichment for bird and reptile collection.
- See and act on any situations that may arise independently or as part of the team.
- Assist with any additional projects or jobs within the animal care department.
- Assist with veterinary treatments under the direction of our vet.
Other Job responsibilities may include:
- Handling and working with our collection of ambassador animals that are used for programs and presentations (May be a primary responsibility depending on the season).
- Exhibit design.
- Providing appropriate husbandry care and feedings to our ambassador animals.
- Daily maintenance and feeds of fish displays.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or Zoology or related field or equivalent experience.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Ability to work with and train volunteers and interns.
- Ability to follow direction from other staff members.
- Must have flexible work schedule with the ability to work weekends and holidays
- Experience working with penguins preferred.
- Open water SCUBA certification also a plus but not necessary.
Email Resume to email@example.com
Position Title: Server
Responsible for sales, servicing the guest, guest relations, and sanitation functions related to the serving of food and beverages.
- Has complete knowledge of the menu, including the price of each item, preparation time, portion size, plating, and garnishment procedures to ensure that food orders are properly prepared when served.
- Has complete knowledge of the beverage menu, including price of each time, preparation time, ingredients, and garnishment procedures to ensure that beverage orders are properly prepared when served.
- Uses suggestive selling techniques when serving each customer.
- Responds to guest complaints in a friendly, courteous manner and takes appropriate action to remedy guest complaints.
- Attentive to the guest’s needs, such as ready to order, refills, or payment of check.
- Assures that the dining room and service work areas are maintained in an attractive, sanitary manner by performing sidework duties, such as table setup, floor cleaning, supply stocking, equipment cleaning, dishwashing, trash removal, etc.
- Maintains a well-groomed professional appearance. Recognizes and greets guests. Responds appropriately to information requests.
- Provides security by reporting suspicious activities, controlling guest checks, following specified procedures for employee parking, storage of personal items, employee food purchases, and complying with other safety procedures (proper lifting, floor cleanliness, handling hot foods).
- Performs any additional duties or responsibilities delegated by his/her supervisor.
Experience serving in hotel or resort, street side restaurant, hospital food and beverage operations, or banquet facility. Ability to lift 50-75 pounds. Ability to read, write, and understand English. Ability to work complete register transactions. Must be able to pass and maintain all Food Service related training. Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
Position Title: Retail Team
Full- and part-time positions available for retail personnel.
- Assist guests regarding purchases;
- Ensure store is clean and organized;
- Stock merchandise in store;
- Ability to work cash register efficiently;
- Interact with children and adult guests in fun and professional manner.
- Must be at least 14 years of age;
- Able to work standing on feet for length of shift;
- Skilled in basic math (for cashier position);
- Desire to work in a fun, entertaining, and educational environment.
No phone calls please. Click APPLY NOW, print application and FAX it to 631.208.0466.
Long Island Aquarium is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports a Drug Free Workplace.