There’s no doubt about it: Long Island Aquarium is a unique place to work. Here is a list of current job opportunities:
No phone calls please. Click APPLY NOW (at the bottom of the page), print application and FAX it to 631.208.0466.
Long Island Aquarium is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports a Drug Free Workplace.
Position Title: Camp counselor
- Must be comfortable kayaking and willing to take the campers out on the river.
- Monitor and participate in group activities such as crafts, swimming, rock climbing, etc.
- Must be able to run guided tours of the Aquarium.
- Be crafty – you’ll be running the arts and crafts projects daily.
- Must have a basic understanding of science with which to run experiments.
- Must be fun-loving, patient and genuinely concerned for the welfare and development of young people.
- Prior Camp experience suggested, but not required;
- CPR/First Aid Certified strongly encouraged;
- Strong organizational, time management, and communication skills;
- Work well with minimal supervision;
- Flexibility in work schedule with the ability to work holidays;
- Minor lifting may be involved.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Position Title: SCUBA Instructors for Shark Dive Program
The Long Island Aquarium is seeking SCUBA Instructors to participate in our Shark Dive Program. We are looking for capable individuals who would like to join our team for public shark dives. The program is daily, and runs from 9:30 am to potentially 3:00 pm (depending on how many people are signed up). This position is part time and an as needed basis depending on if we have participating guests for the day.
The mission of the program is to introduce guests to the underwater world where they can have an up close and personal interaction with sharks. The hope is that they will take this experience with them and help influence their future actions on how they impact the environment, especially the oceans.
Long Island Aquarium Shark Dive Program Description:
A shark dive instructor (certified scuba instructor) takes paying customers (divers or non-divers at least 12 years of age) down in a cage into the 120,000 gallon shark exhibit. The 12 foot deep and 40 foot wide exhibit is home to four ~8 ft sand tiger sharks, four nurse sharks, two wobbegong sharks, 3 green moray eels, and a variety or schooling and tropical fishes. The divers are submersed for about 20 minutes and stand in the cage breathing scuba from an OTS guardian full face mask. Divers are wearing water shoes, 5 mm wetsuit, weight harness, and the full face mask. The tank is secured to the aluminum cage with a regulator containing a 7 ft hose to the full face mask. Maximum depth for divers is about 8 ft if they lay on the bottom of the cage. Maximum occupancy of the cage is three people; the instructor and two divers. A communication system is in place where the tender (safety trained person who is controlling the ascent and descent of the cage), divers, and instructor are all able to communicate in and out of the water. Prior to the dive, a safety briefing is conducted by the dive instructor to outline equipment use, equalization practices, dive plan, and other cautions with sharks. All shark dive participants are required to fill out a liability/medical release form prior to diving.
Requirements of Instructor:
Set up and Clean up of all dive equipment for day of dives
Provide a dive briefing to all guests prior to dive
Provide proof of liability insurance and certification card
Exhibit good time management skills
To be discussed on interview
Please apply with the following information to email@example.com:
Name, certifying organization, experience, and contact information.
Position Title: Maintenance
The Maintenance Person assists the team in achieving and maintaining outstanding interior and exterior Aquarium and adjacent properties cleanliness and maintaining property equipment. As a member of the Maintenance Team, the Aquarium will support you with the tools and training needed to succeed.
The Maintenance Person’s responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining cleanliness of interior daily
- Maintaining outside grounds
- Clean equipment, inside and outside windows, stock rooms, and restrooms
- Unload / load trucks and vehicles
- Take out garbage and load into trash compactor
- Clean HVAC / Exhaust units and roof of debris
- Snow removal
- Perform general maintenance that includes painting, carpentry, lighting, door locks, hardware, and building finishes
- High school graduate or GED
- Must have, or obtain, a current and valid New York driver’s license (or reliable daily transportation to and from work)
- Ability to lift and move materials weighing in excess of 50 lbs.
- Ability to climb and work from ladders
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to work indoors, outdoors, and in inclement weather
- Ability to work in and around water
- Ability to work in and around animals
- Ability to prioritize and respond to various emergencies outside of normal tasks
- Ability to work weekends and holidays
Position Title: Server
Responsible for sales, servicing the guest, guest relations, and sanitation functions related to the serving of food and beverages.
- Has complete knowledge of the menu, including the price of each item, preparation time, portion size, plating, and garnishment procedures to ensure that food orders are properly prepared when served.
- Has complete knowledge of the beverage menu, including price of each time, preparation time, ingredients, and garnishment procedures to ensure that beverage orders are properly prepared when served.
- Uses suggestive selling techniques when serving each customer.
- Responds to guest complaints in a friendly, courteous manner and takes appropriate action to remedy guest complaints.
- Attentive to the guest’s needs, such as ready to order, refills, or payment of check.
- Assures that the dining room and service work areas are maintained in an attractive, sanitary manner by performing sidework duties, such as table setup, floor cleaning, supply stocking, equipment cleaning, dishwashing, trash removal, etc.
- Maintains a well-groomed professional appearance. Recognizes and greets guests. Responds appropriately to information requests.
- Provides security by reporting suspicious activities, controlling guest checks, following specified procedures for employee parking, storage of personal items, employee food purchases, and complying with other safety procedures (proper lifting, floor cleanliness, handling hot foods).
- Performs any additional duties or responsibilities delegated by his/her supervisor.
Experience serving in hotel or resort, street side restaurant, hospital food and beverage operations, or banquet facility. Ability to lift 50-75 pounds. Ability to read, write, and understand English. Ability to work complete register transactions. Must be able to pass and maintain all Food Service related training. Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
Position Title: Sous Chef
To operate the kitchen in the absence of the Executive Chef.
- Responsible for food production on scheduled shift. Ensures that all food production workers are performing their duties a prescribed by the quality standards established by the Executive Chef.
- Assumes all of the duties of the Executive Chef in the chef’s absence.
- Responsible to ensure that the kitchen produces nutritious, safe, eye-appealing, properly flavored food.
- Maintains a safe and sanitary work environment for all Associates on their assigned shift or in the absence of the Executive Chef.
- Other duties include assisting with menu planning, preparation of budgets, maintenance of payroll, food cost, and other records.
- Assists in specific duties involving food preparation are the establishment of quality standards, training of employees in cooking methods, presentation techniques, portion control, and retention on nutrients.
- Perform other duties as directed by management.
- 2-4 years of experience as a Cook or Line Cook in a hotel, resort, condo hotel, street-side restaurant, food service facility or banquet facility.
- Culinary degree preferred by equivalent years of experience acceptable.
- Must be able to read, write, and understand English.
- Must be able to lift 50-75 pounds. Must be able to walk, stand and bend for long periods of time.
- Must be able to direct the work of others even under pressure.
- Must be able to create specials daily that are relevant to a theme of specific a specific market and make items in a specific price range and profit percentage.
- Must be able to keep food costs to minimum by minimizing waste.
- Must follow all policies and procedures of the Resort.
- Must provide the best possible guest service delivery to our guests.
Position Title: Line/Prep Cook
Associate is responsible for ensuring that all meals coming from the kitchen are well-prepared and presented, and that all food safety procedures are followed.
- Prepare food by: using knives to cut, chop and slice, lifting packaged food items, food preparation such as roasting meats, grilling chicken and making sauces, checking in, separating, and stocking food deliveries, producing orders according to standards.
- Cleaning up by: wiping down equipment, cleaning grill, moving equipment and sweeping and mopping.
- Complete all tasks as directed by management.
- Follow all Resort policies and procedures.
- 1-2 years of cooking experience
- Ability to work broiler, use fry and sauté stations.
- Basic knowledge of soups and sauces and the ability to prepare items.
- Must be able to follow directions well while under pressure.
- Must assist in keeping food costs low by minimizing waste.
- Must have good knowledge of all sanitation and safety regulations by the date and the company.
- Must be able to provide guest service delivery according to company standards.
- Must be able to understand English by hearing and in writing.
No phone calls please. Click APPLY NOW, print application and FAX it to 631.208.0466.
Long Island Aquarium is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports a Drug Free Workplace.