It’s easy to arrange a school or group visit (minimum 15 people) to the Aquarium. Please note that advance registration is required.
To book your visit, call 631.208.9200, ext. 426, Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 4:00pm or click HERE to book online.
Chaperones are key to a successful visit, and groups receive one free chaperone for every 10 paid admissions ages 3-17, or one free chaperone for each adult/senior group.
Once your reservation is confirmed, you can receive one free planning pass by calling 631.208.9200, ext. 426. This pass may not be used on the same day of your reservation.
Learning Resources & Crafts
Long Island Aquarium Educators have designed age-appropriate learning resources and activities for grades K-12. The lessons plans focus on the animals found at Long Island Aquarium and highlight their taxonomy and adaptations. While they can be used solely in the classroom, these lesson plans also include activities specifically for use when touring the Aquarium.
We hope you find these resources helpful for bringing science into your classroom.
Please click below to download a lesson plan!
- Shark Sizes (for grades 1-3)
- Form & Function – Mouths
- Symbiotic Relationships
- Birding the Peconic River
- Frogs & Toads
- Corals Lesson Plan
- Atlantic Horseshoe Crab
- Hedgehog Craft
- Puzzle Sheet
- Penguin in Pajamas Coloring Sheet
- Shark Coloring Sheet
- Milk & Egg Carton Garden
- Bird Feeder
- Make an Ocean Pollution Sensory Bin
Chaperones play an essential role in creating a positive group experience at Long Island Aquarium and being a chaperone is a great way to enjoy a visit to our facility.
Upon your group’s arrival at Long Island Aquarium, have your coordinator proceed to the Group Check-In at the Main Entrance. All others should remain on the bus until greeted by an Long Island Aquarium staff member.
(Remember to schedule a departure time with your bus driver, and make sure that you have your group outside at the Riverfront Parking Lot at the scheduled time.)
When checking in, your coordinator will need to provide a final headcount, so that each visitor can receive a wristband. An Long Island Aquarium map, schedule, and chaperone badge will also be distributed at this time.
As you serve as a chaperone, please keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Have your badge visible at all times
- Remain with your group throughout your visit, regardless of ages;
- Accompany your group in the Butterfly Garden, in our Gift Shops, Atlantis Cafe and other eating establishments.
- Share our “Behavior Guidelines” (seen below) with your group
- prior to your visit
- Know your day’s agenda — including the location
- and time of your departure
- Report to the Information Desk near the main entrance
- if a group member gets lost or injured
Chaperones (minimum age 21) are key to a successful visit, and groups receive one free adult chaperone for every 10 paid admissions ages 3-21, or one free adult chaperone for each adult/senior group.
Considerate behavior helps ensure an enjoyable experience for all Long Island Aquarium visitors. When visiting our facility as a member of a group, please follow these guidelines:
- Be courteous and respectful by talking quietly and walking, not running
- Do not write on walls, windows, or exhibit storyboards
- Do not tap on windows or climb on exhibits, railings, or ledges
- Use care in handling our animals
- Consume food and drinks only in posted areas
- Respect our neighbors in Riverhead, and demonstrate appropriate behavior
- if visiting merchants along Main Street
You are about to embark on a journey of discovery in the Lost City of Atlantis. It is our hope that your trip with us is fun and educational. Our unique exhibitory is designed to complement your current course curriculum, as well as showcase the many diverse marine ecosystems of Long Island, and beyond.
To assist in planning your visit, we have prepared a special Trip Kit to accompany you the day of your visit. But be sure to visit our Schools & Groups section for more detailed information and tips!
Explore and enjoy all the Aquarium has to offer!