There’s no doubt about it: Long Island Aquarium is a unique place to work. Here is a list of current job opportunities:
No phone calls please. Click APPLY NOW (at the bottom of the page), print application, and FAX it to 631.208.0466.
Long Island Aquarium is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports a Drug Free Workplace. We participate in the Employer Assisted Housing Program which assists first time home buyers with financial support.
Position Title: Animal Training Dept. Assistant – Temporary Position
Requirements: A B.S. in Biology, Psychology or a related science; or in the process of completing their B.S. (You may be considered for employment with an Associate’s degree or equivalent skills and experience in the field). Some experience volunteering or interning at a formal animal care facility is preferred/recommended, but not required. Must be able to work in a kitchen set up and practice good hygiene and good food preparation skills to ensure the health of the facilities’ animal ambassadors. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and endure a fast-paced schedule and physical labor. Must be a team player and able to work with others on a daily basis. The ability to lead and give guidance to volunteers and interns is highly preferred. Having public speaking experience/the ability to use a microphone in front of large crowds is preferred but not required.
This position is a temporary position (approximately 3 months). The individual will spend most of their time in the fish/diet preparation kitchens. This position is required to work Saturday through Wednesday, 40 hours/week.
Work as part of the team to manage and provide for all animals under our care, and to represent the aquarium in a positive and educational manner. Help to educate the public about animals in nature, and how to help conserve and protect all animals and their environment.
Adhere to all rules and laws set forth by the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums (AMMPA) for housing and caring for marine mammals and all the animals under our care. Which includes daily food preparation for all animals, daily habitat cleaning and maintenance for all animals, and maintaining water quality for all animals.
Interact with the public and answer questions educationally and correctly. Setting up and preparing for sea lion presentations, as well as cleaning up after presentations. Operating and maintaining the sound equipment for the sea lion presentations.
Help to provide the best quality of life for all the animals in our care through husbandry, training and enrichment. The Department Assistant position assists the training staff for the following: training the animals to cooperate voluntarily with us so that we can do physical exams daily, voluntary blood samples annually, vaccinate annually, crate training for transportation out of habitats for emergency purposes or habitat maintenance purposes; providing daily unique enrichment sessions to stimulate our animals, and training behaviors to provide aquarium guests with fun, exciting and educational presentations.
Please send a cover letter, resume and one letter of recommendation to the Senior Curator of Mammals, Birds and Reptiles, Candyce Paparo, at email@example.com.
Position Title: Retail Team Member
Job Description: Friendly, energetic and out going individuals are needed for available part time positions in assisting guests in all retail areas of the Aquarium. Only individual comfortable approaching and conversing with Aquarium guests in this fast paced environment need apply for this position.
- Helping our guests find that special gift or souvenir to remember their visit to Long Island Aquarium
- Includes but is not limited to assisting the guests with all retail transactions in all areas.
- Ensuring area you are assigned to is clean, organized and well stocked.
- Working a cash register quickly and efficiently.
- Interacting with children and adults in a fun and professional manner.
- Minimum age of 14.
- Must be able to stand on your feet for the length of a shift (typically 6-8 hours).
- Ability to do basic math skill, such as counting back change, simple multiplication and the ability to figure out tax rates.
- Must be able and willing to accommodate a flexible schedule during peak season (June-September).
- Ability to memorize and explain concisely Aquarium information.
- Ability to work with others in a friendly and efficient manner.
Position Title: Server
Job Description: Responsible for sales, servicing the guest, guest relations, and sanitation functions related to the serving of food and beverages.
- Has complete knowledge of the menu, including the price of each item, preparation time, portion size, plating, and garnishment procedures to ensure that food orders are properly prepared when served.
- Has complete knowledge of the beverage menu, including price of each time, preparation time, ingredients, and garnishment procedures to ensure that beverage orders are properly prepared when served.
- Uses suggestive selling techniques when serving each customer.
- Responds to guest complaints in a friendly, courteous manner and takes appropriate action to remedy guest complaints.
- Attentive to the guest’s needs, such as ready to order, refills, or payment of check.
- Assures that the dining room and service work areas are maintained in an attractive, sanitary manner by performing sidework duties, such as table setup, floor cleaning, supply stocking, equipment cleaning, dishwashing, trash removal, etc.
- Maintains a well-groomed professional appearance. Recognizes and greets guests. Responds appropriately to information requests.
- Provides security by reporting suspicious activities, controlling guest checks, following specified procedures for employee parking, storage of personal items, employee food purchases, and complying with other safety procedures (proper lifting, floor cleanliness, handling hot foods).
- Performs any additional duties or responsibilities delegated by his/her supervisor.
Experience serving in hotel or resort, street side restaurant, hospital food and beverage operations, or banquet facility. Ability to lift 50-75 pounds. Ability to read, write, and understand English. Ability to work complete register transactions. Must be able to pass and maintain all Food Service related training. Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
Position Title: Line/Prep Cook
Associate is responsible for ensuring that all meals coming from the kitchen are well-prepared and presented, and that all food safety procedures are followed.
- Prepare food by: using knives to cut, chop and slice, lifting packaged food items, food preparation such as roasting meats, grilling chicken and making sauces, checking in, separating, and stocking food deliveries, producing orders according to standards.
- Cleaning up by: wiping down equipment, cleaning grill, moving equipment and sweeping and mopping.
- Complete all tasks as directed by management.
- Follow all Resort policies and procedures.
- 1-2 years of cooking experience
- Ability to work broiler, use fry and sauté stations.
- Basic knowledge of soups and sauces and the ability to prepare items.
- Must be able to follow directions well while under pressure.
- Must assist in keeping food costs low by minimizing waste.
- Must have good knowledge of all sanitation and safety regulations by the date and the company.
- Must be able to provide guest service delivery according to company standards.
- Must be able to understand English by hearing and in writing.
No phone calls please. Click APPLY NOW, print application and FAX it to 631.208.0466.
Long Island Aquarium is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports a Drug Free Workplace.